Sunday, August 03, 2008

Scotland, Here we Come!

I love travel. I love discovering new places and things and meeting new people. HOWEVER, I really don’t like to spend too much money—ever. I prefer the word “frugal” to the word “cheap”.

Being frugal and seeing the world is easier than you might expect IF you plan ahead. We are leaving for Scotland tomorrow, and we have been planning this trip for quite some time.

I did some research and I looked up just about every battlefield that we might possibly cross on our whirlwind tour of Scotland. I tried to remember my college history classes and if Bannockburn was the deciding factor in 1715 or 1314; which Edward or Bruce did what and when, etc. I was a history major (and teacher)..

And, then it hit us. We had not yet made reservations anywhere. That is a key to traveling on a budget! So, we set ourselves to work. To make a long story a bit shorter, everyone in the world is descending on Scotland next week. The remaining available establishments (those that were not booked 7 months ago!) are out of the way or out of our price range. 250 pounds for one night is a bit much, don’t you think?


So, we will be camping across Scotland. I’m sure sleeping on a ridge that overlooks Loch Ness will be as wonderful as it sounds, but I am still kicking myself for waiting too long to find a place to stay!

4 comments:

Seth, Jen, Hannah, Cailyn, and Isaac said...

Oh my! Is Claire along for the adventure, too? All I have to say is, layer, layer, layer!!! LOL If you wait 6 more months and come to Eire instead, we'd have a free place for ya' to stay! ;o)

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful talking to you this morning. I saw you'll be there for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (1.7 million tickets sold last year) and The Edinburgh Book Festival with 800 authors in over 750 events. Wow!
Love you! =^..^=

Morgan said...

Wow, that sounds cool! No YHA hostel rooms available, huh? That's our favorite way to travel. I can't wait to hear about the camping!

Laura said...

Can I just say how incredibly jealous I am? I seriously have fantasies about sleeping in the heather next to a highland stream. Have fun and take LOTS of pictures to share with your stuck-at-home American friends!