Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Culture Shock

I am not currently in culture shock, however I was shocked by something I learned in class yesterday.

In America, I have heard the expression, "The Good is the enemy of the Best." I took this to mean that we should not be satisfied when something is just "good".

Yesterday I learned that the French have a similar expression. "The Best is the enemy of the Good." This means that if something is good, we should leave it alone. You can completely destroy something good if you mess with it just in order to make it better.

Wow! That explains a lot about the differences in our 2 cultures.

Please do not take this post as a judgment of any kind. It's just an observation!

2 comments:

Claire's Nana said...

That sounds alot like "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Sometimes, we make things worse when we try to improve them.

Unknown said...

I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best posting.


Geometrydashonline.net
Basketballlegendsgame.com