Monday, June 08, 2009

Scared of Twilight??


First of all, I have to admit that I have read all four books in the Twilight series. I usually like to read young adult literature in French (easy reading, but still good for vocab...blah, blah, blah), AND I was really curious about the big fuss being made over the books.


Last week I was reading an article in a French magazine about the release of the movie. (I was in a waiting room, so the magazines weren't exactly up-to-date!) The title was something like "Should We Be Scared of Twilight?" The article went on to say that the vampire themes were nothing that anyone should be concerned about.


What should we be scared of then?? According to this article, we should be scared of the fact that the books promote ABSTINENCE before marriage! Yep. The conclusion of the article states that Stephenie Meyer is a Mormon and she is trying to propagate her Mormon beliefs through her books. The fact that abstinence is a theme throughout the novels should frighten everyone! Once again, this is the view of the writer of the article. I am not typically scared of purity in the fiction that I read.


There are some things I will just never understand...

4 comments:

Claire's Nana said...

I must admit that I have read all four of them also. I have to admit, though, that the abstinence part never crossed my mind. Good for her if she can bring it out without being "preachy." Maybe young people will pick up on it anyway. Love you!

Mentanna said...

i don't know. i have heard that abstinence can kill ya! ps i like the new look.

Laura said...

Those crazy secular Frenchies - they will believe anything! Chocolate is an excellent source of calcium, and abstinence is a horrible, horrible thing.

Sophie Grace said...

I love your shared details and must want to appreciate your efforts. If you don't mind can i bookmark your post to get future updates. We also provide a site picbear about instagram.